Welcome:

Welcome to my world..............

Monday 4 June 2012

Jubilee rocks.....!

Needless to say I wasn't around for the Coronation, and do not recall anything about the Golden Jubilee, but the Silver Jubilee in '77 still ranks high in the most memorable periods of my life.  No, not one flag waved, or patriotic cheers, but just a fantastic birding trip round the south-east, with my best mate Pog in his red MGB, to the ever-present Boz Scaggs hit on the radio.  We visited some fabulous sites and had some great birds, many of which were new for both of us.  It started with Mandarins in Surrey, Cetti's and Savi's Warblers and Glossy Ibis in Kent, and on to East Anglia for Golden Orioles, Golden Pheasant, Stone Curlew, a superb female Wilson's Phalarope, Woodchat Shrike, Red-backed Shrike and a fly-by Pratincole.  Unfortunately I had to come home to go back to work but Pog went on and got White-winged Black Tern, Honey Buzzard, Spoonbill and Bittern....
We both have had some great birding days since, but that four days takes some beating, and the Phalarope is still the best looking plumaged bird I have seen of all the dozen or so Wilson's I have seen in the UK.  Cracking!

No comments:

Post a Comment