Welcome:

Welcome to my world..............

Sunday 3 July 2011

A record count of Four-dotted Moths

Not a bad night but cool after midnight, getting down to +8.  I chose Sessay wood near Pilmoor, the 2nd time I have trapped here, and ran 4 traps, all different bulbs and wattages.  The highlight of the night was the incredible count of Four-dotted Footman, 103 in total, amounting to nearly 20% of the total catch, and more than 5 times the previous County record.
Four-dotted Footman
The rest of the catch amounted to 75 odd species, with some families surprisingly absent or few in number, but had only my second ever White Satin Moth, and a new site for the Nb status Angle-striped Sallow.  Not a bad haul.
Angle-striped Sallow
Argyresthia brockeella

Grey Poplar

Suspected

White Satin Moth
As an addendum to this, my record of five Minor Shoulder-knot seemed to generate interest, so I add a picture of one of these, a very local and declining species in Yorkshire.
Minor Shoulder-knot

No comments:

Post a Comment