Welcome:

Welcome to my world..............

Thursday 2 September 2021

A week in Cornwall

Thanks to the generosity of my Brother-in-Law Kev and his partner Liz who arranged a week 21st - 29th August in a beachside cottage in Gorran Haven, Cornwall (VC2), I seized the opportunity to trap in Liz's nearby garden each night.  The weather was fabulous during the day with mainly wall-to-wall sunshine, the clear skies and large moon affected the catches overnight; the one cloudy night on 26th August gave the best results with 154 moths of  52 species.







The catches were fairly modest but did provide me with three new species and a selection of southern species which I haven't seen since leaving Dorset in 2006.  The new species were Azalea Leaf Miner Caloptilia azaleellaLobesia littoralis and a Jersey Mocha Cyclophora ruficiliaria, while those that I had seen before when living down south were Sharp-angled Peacock, Black Arches and L-album Wainscot.  The last three have just about made it as far as Yorkshire but I have yet to see them here.

15.007 Azalea Leaf Miner, Caloptilia azaleella, 23 Aug 21

49.185 Lobesia littoralis, 23 Aug 21

70.034 Jersey Mocha Cyclophora ruficiliaria, 25 Aug 21






Gorran Haven beach

Fantastic scenery, beautiful weather, great company, very tasty food, some good moths, all in all a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment